Center Membership Policy
The CenTiRe membership policy allows for a multi-tiered membership structure to fit the needs of the range of companies and government agencies joining the Center, while meeting the NSF I/UCRC program objective. The categories of membership in CenTiRe are listed below:
Tier 1 — Full Membership
- Full rights to all Intellectual Property (IP) generated during the funded research
- Full voting tokens (40) to be used in selection and funding decisions for research proposals and projects
- $40, 000 annual membership fee
Tier 2 — Affiliate Membership
- Limited rights to all Intellectual Property (IP) generated during the funded research
- Half voting tokens (20) to be used in selection and funding decisions for research 000 annual membership fee
POTENTIAL BENEFITS TO INDUSTRIAL MEMBERS
Benefits of membership in the Center’s Cooperative Research Program are listed below.
- Each Center Member is entitled to a voting representative on the Center’s Industry Advisory Board (IAB). This provides the Center Members a formal opportunity to suggest new projects for the cooperative research program, select the projects to be funded, and to participate in determining the research direction of the Center. As noted above, the number of voting tokens available to the Member in making proposal and project decisions is dependent on the level of membership.
- A Center Member may send additional representatives to the semiannual IAB meeting and the periodic Project Technical Review meetings. The presentations and posters displayed by the Center faculty and students provide opportunities for representatives to discuss in depth those projects of particular interest with the involved faculty members and graduate students.
- A Center Member, through participation in Center Project Technical Review meetings and progress reports, can keep abreast of a wide range of tire and tire-related materials, modeling, testing, and manufacturing research results and opportunities.
- The pooling of membership fees provides base funding for approximately 12 multi-year research projects. This provides a cost-effective mechanism for Member Companies to gain detailed access to a broad base research program for a small percentage of the cost of performing research in-house. This is further leveraged by other grants that faculty members obtain to supplement the CenTiRe funded reserarch work.
- The funded research projects are conducted by approximately 15-20 graduate and undergraduate students. A Center Member gains exposure to these students at the semiannual IAB meetings and periodic Project Technical Review meetings to assist in the recruitment of new staff members.
- A Center Member has access to the materials generated in all funded research projects via attendance at the semiannual IAB meeting and the periodic Project Technical Review meetings, and from the password protected Members Area of the CenTiRe website.
- A Full Member receives an option for a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to inventions made during the research work if they share patent costs.
- A Center Member can choose to send a visiting scientist to the Center. If this person works on one of the research projects in the cooperative program, there is no extra fee required from the Member Company. An extra fee is required in accordance with each university’s access to facilities policy if the visiting scientist works on a research project other than a project in the cooperative program.
- A Center Member has access to the Center and its faculty as a resource for technical questions, occasional technical services, and conducting individual research projects under separate contract.